Five Bus Accidents Today in Rio: Daily

By Andrew Willis, Contributing Reporter

RIO DE JANERIO, BRAZIL – Five accidents involving public buses took place across Rio de Janeiro city and the wider area on Wednesday (October 24). One person was killed and at least 58 others were injured, fueling frustration with Rio’s congested and often dangerous roads.

An overturned bus at the Praça Tiradentes accident site, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil News

An overturned bus at the Praça Tiradentes accident site, image recreation.

On Rua Vinte de Abril in downtown Centro Rio, a bus collided with a post and subsequently ricocheted into a car, throwing it onto the sidewalk where it hit several pedestrians. One person was killed and three others injured.

In Praça Tiradentes, a number 361 bus (Carioca – Recreio) broke a red traffic light and collided with a number 125 bus (Central – General Osório), overturning on the road around 6AM. Roughly thirty people suffered mild injuries.

Around 9AM in Curicica, in the city’s Zona Oeste (West Zone), two other buses crashed on the Estrada dos Bandeirantes. Ten people suffered mild injuries and were taken to the Lourenço Jorge municipal hospital in Barra da Tijuca.

In Niterói, two buses collided on the Avenida Feliciano Sodré, around 10AM. At least fifteen people were injured and taken to the Azevedo Lima hospital. Other victims were attended to on site.

Unconfirmed information suggests the driver of one of the buses was trapped in the wreckage and had to be rescued by fire services, reports the local O Globo newspaper. As a result of the accident, two one-way lanes heading towards the city center were blocked for roughly two hours.

During the early evening, another accident involving a bus and a taxi took place on the Avenida Rodrigues Alves in the city’s port zone.

The city is working to expand its underground Metro system, as well as manage the passenger vans, all part of public transportation system bursting at the seems.

Read more (in Portuguese)

* The Rio Times Daily Updates feature is offered to help keep you up-to-date with important news as it happens.

10 Responses to "Five Bus Accidents Today in Rio: Daily"

1. PT  October 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I am not saying that ALL Rio bus drivers are negligent or at fault in these accidents, but it might help if they would stop using cell phones while driving (Rio busses are manual shift, using one hand for the cell phone, and one for shifting leaves none for steering!), stop eating while driving, stop conversing with passengers while driving, and stop this nonsense of imagining they are auditioning for the next Fast & Furious movie while driving, then there might be fewer accidents.

2. Cameron  October 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This does not surprise me in the least! The bus drivers in Rio are simply out of control. A couple of months ago I was personally involed in THREE!!! seperate bus accidents in A SINGLE WEEK!! They are reckless, unskilled and have no concept of how to operate a large vehicle. EVERYTHING they do is to the EXTREME! Braking, steering, changing lanes, taking corners WAY too fast and dropping the clutch while changing gears. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve seen passengers get literally thrown all over place when they do these things. I’ve seen old ladies (yes plural; I’ve seen it more than once) fall down the stairwell, smash their heads on the door windows and cut their heads open because the driver braked unnecessarily hard. The worst part is, they don’t seem to care/realise that they are putting people in danger. At best, it’s an out of control roller coaster of a ride, at worst, people die! I fear for my safety and the safety of the vehicles around the bus every time I get on one in this city. How many people have to die before something is done?!?! Seriously, is this what we want when the World Cup and Olympics arrive?

3. AT  October 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM

I second that. And surely the fares are high enough, where’s the money going?

4. JC  October 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Years ago in Brazil, I was traveling on a bus. The driver was driving like a formula one driver. People swayed and fell, trying to hold on to whatever they could. I commented:

“A gente nao tem direito de sentir seguro?”

A brazilian responded:

“Cara, voce tem direito de cair de bunda!”

And so it goes…….

JC

5. marty  October 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I live in Araruama which is a few hours east of the city, going towards Cabo Frio. I on’t go into the city often, but when I do, I usually take the Frescao, although it only operates Monday thru Friday. The city buses are totally nuts. I’ve been on a bus where the mostorista obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Before taking off he apparently had a big argument with the dispante and from there on it was a roller coaster ll the way. When he stopped for passengers 90% of the passengers were thrown all over the place. It didn’t seen to bother him and all as contiunued to talk to himself under his breath. Brailians have a saying. acustomado, which means that they’re used to it. Another time we were taking the bus fro the Rodoviaria to Araruama and the bus had obvious problems with the stabilize bars and the bus swerved so dramatically from side to side that people began yelling at the driver. He said it was the bus and not him. I think it was both. Eventually, much to his chagrin, he slowed down and everyone calmed down. The fares are not cheap for sure, and if you don’t know where the money is going, be sure it’s going into the same pockets where everything else is going. Acustomado!!!!

6. Rafael Porto  November 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Hi, everyone!

Correcting: it’s not ‘acustomado’, but ‘acostumado’. There’s a little diference. I’m just giving a contribution, ok?!

See ya’

7. Rafael Porto  November 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

*difference

8. marty  November 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Thanks Rafael……

9. Pingback: Commutes in Rio Take 31 Percent Longer | The Rio Times | Brazil News

10. Pingback: Poor Overpass Design Blamed for Rio Fatal Bus Crash: Daily Update | The Rio Times | Brazil News