Security Centers Open in Rio de Janeiro

By Anna Kaiser, Contributing Reporter

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – Two state-of-the-art security centers have opened in Rio de Janeiro this month in the city’s continued effort to improve safety for the Confederations Cup and Catholic World Youth Day. The Integrated Center for Security and Control (CICC) was inaugurated last Friday and the Coordination Center for Defense (CCDA), which is already in operation will be fully staffed by June 10th.

CICC in Cidade Nova, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil News

The inside of the CICC in Cidade Nova, photo by Marcelo Horn/Governo do Rio de Janeiro.

The CCDA, run by the Brazilian Armed Forces, and the CICC, an all encompassing public security unit, will collaborate and monitor happenings of the city in an effort to ensure safety during the events to come. Both centers monitor strategic points in the city with cameras, as professionals trained to react quickly keep watch.

A first test was the reopening of the Maracanã during the friendly match between Brazil and England. Live footage from 457 cameras was broadcast onto 98 television screens to monitor the surroundings of the football (soccer) game according to authorities.

The two security centers are said to be the most modern in South America, according to the state government’s website. They will be working in partnership and plan to exchange personnel to guarantee a collective effort. “Never has public security in Brazil had a space of this nature, with all the force’s dialogues combined in order to make quick decisions,” Minister of Justice José Eduardo Cardoso explained.

Already data from the Institute of Public Security (ISP) in March shows the number of homicides are down in the city, and the government’s installation of Police Pacification Units (UPPs) in Rio’s favelas are considered a primary factor. However the study also found an increase in violent non-lethal acts, threats increased from 29.4 to 99 per 100,000 inhabitants, while rape indices went from 1.3 to 4.8 and domestic violence shot up from 27 to 84.6.

Complexo do Alemão, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil News

Police patrol Complexo do Alemão group of favelas, photo by Operação Rio de Janeiro/ABr.

Security will remain a central issue for the government, especially as a series of recent high-profile crimes against foreign tourist have hurt the city’s reputation as a dangerous place, and might discourage foreigners from coming to Rio.

Nathan Reese, an American and resident of New York City, was mugged twice in his week long stay in Rio; once by a young boy in Copacabana and again by a teenage boy armed with a knife in Santa Teresa.

“I honestly have no idea how they will be able to handle the upcoming events… We were robbed twice in two days in touristy areas in the middle of the day, I have no idea how I could have avoided it, or behaved differently,” Reese told The Rio Times.

The CICC, located in Cidade Nova (Zona Norte, North Zone), was a R$104.5 million investment, seventy percent paid by the Rio state government and thirty percent by the federal government. It encompasses all of Rio’s public security under one roof: the civil, military and federal police, the municipal guard, highway patrol, firefighters and emergency response system. The center is expected to have 800 to 1,200 employees.

About eighty trained military officers will staff the CCDA. The CCDA will reactivate the former Cooperations Coordinations Center (CCop), which was used to monitor the city during last year’s Rio+20 conference.

6 Responses to "Security Centers Open in Rio de Janeiro"

  1. Pingback: Security Centers Open in Rio de Janeiro | Radar

  2. carlos eduardo  June 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

    I ask to see some concrete evidence that this Nathan Reese from New York City was robbed twice, as he claims. Were these alleged robberies reported to the police? If so, please print the police reports. Were there any eye witnesses to either of these alleged robberies? Any incidents as described would be eye witnessed by dozens if not hundreds of bystanders, if indeed they happened in Copa and Santa Teresa in touristy areas during midday, as claimed. If there are not police reports, or eye witnesses, I conclude that said robberies did not occur. Should that be case, this publication should not only not have printed the allegations, it should go further and publish that no evidence exists to support the allegations, and it should apologize to its readers for publishing such unsubstantiated allegations.

  3. Nathan Reese  June 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

    Hi Carlos, Nathan here. I can assure you that the robberies did take place as they were reported. The first one wasn’t a successful (I refused to give up my wallet to the person that threatened me), while the second was reported to the police after my wallet, phone, and watch were stolen. Police reports should be a matter of public record. We first reported it at a local station near Santa Teresa, and were then taken to the tourist police station in Leblon (both times I was with my girlfriend — we probably seemed like an easy target). The police, for their part, where very cordial and helpful. I understand that there’s a lot riding on the security issues in Rio with upcoming events, and this could have been a fluke, but it certainly did happen. For what it’s worth, Rio was an amazing city to visit and I would go back again despite muggings.

  4. Pingback: Rio opens 2 state of the art security centres in preparation for World Cup « Security News from TSSL

  5. Pingback: Rio Prepares to Host 2013 World Youth Day | The Rio Times | Brazil News

  6. Pingback: Rio’s Foreign Consulates Offer Advice to Football Fans | The Rio Times | Brazil News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.