Brazil Humiliated by Germany in World Cup Semi-Final: Daily

Germany thrash Brazil 7-1 in Belo Horizonte and will play in the final on Sunday.

By Robbie Blakeley, Senior Contributing Reporter

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – The Seleção (Brazil national team) were unceremoniously dumped out of the FIFA World Cup after being thrashed 7-1 by Germany at the Mineirão this evening (July 8th). A sensational six minute period in the first half saw the Germans score four goals, snatching away Brazil’s hopes of a sixth world title, not to mention a first on home soil.

Brazil loss, World Cup, Brazil, Brazil News

Brazil suffered their worst ever defeat after losing 7-1 to Germany, photo by Jefferson Bernardes/VIPCOMM.

Germany simply had too much. Before the tournament there was much talk of the Maracanazo (curse) of 1950, when Brazil lost the final 2-1 to Uruguay. This was worse. The heaviest defeat in the history of the World Cup semi-finals and the heaviest defeat the Brazilian national team has ever suffered.

Cheered on by a packed house, the wheels came off the hosts’ bus in spectacular style. Thiago Silva and Neymar were missing for Brazil but no one expected the humbling that was so brutally dished out. As each goal went in it felt like an out of body experience. The cameras panned around the stadium to looks of incomprehension and grief.

Germany went ahead after eleven minutes. Toni Kroos whipped in a corner and Thomas Muller, inexplicably unmarked, calmly volleyed home. Marcelo tried to surge forward down the left flank but was excellently checked by Phillip Lahm, but then Miroslav Klose doubled the German advantage and the floodgates opened.

Less than 60 seconds later Lahm’s cross was mishit by Muller. The loose ball fell to Kroos, who rifled home from the edge of the penalty area. Brazil were now 3-0 down and the fans barely had time to register what was happening. Fernandinho lost possession, Sami Khedira teed up Kroos and the fourth hit the back of the net.

The hosts were now in a shambolic state and the worst was not over. Before the half hour mark, Germany had made it 5-0. Mesut Ozil centered for Khedira to coolly slot the ball past a beaten César. The game, and the day, was now as good as over.

Andre Schurrle added two more after the interval before Oscar scored a consolation for the hosts. By then, though, the damage to this Brazil team had long been done.

* The Rio Times Daily Updates feature is offered to help keep you up-to-date with important news as it happens.

116 Responses to "Brazil Humiliated by Germany in World Cup Semi-Final: Daily"

1. speedy  July 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Thanks to Brazil for that great evening yesterday! B-)
    In 4 years we will meet again and you´ll get your chance to make your mistakes from yesterday forgotten. ;)
    I´ll hope your fans are with you in the last game of this WC and will give you a fair farewell. :)
    Good luck!!

Greetings from Cologne / Germany

2. michael jay  July 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Is it possible to love a team and yet still feel betrayed? Yes.

3. greenie  July 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM

BRA777777-1111111LLLLLLLL Haha

4. Robert  July 10, 2014 at 6:10 AM

We Germans love Brazil and brazil football is always a ideal for us. Dont be sad look forward!
    You can always be proud of Brazil!

5. Philip Unsworth  July 10, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Some time ago I questioned myself as to what it is about football that brings millions of people globally to watch a 90 minute epic played out in front of supporters with a round ball. It’s not just entertainment and for many it’s not just sport because the crowd becomes a part of the event. Furthermore, there is something that appeals innately to our humanity, as though much of what we experience in life plays out in front of us, encapsulated by 90 minutes on a rectangular pitch. We identify with players and a team and suffer the heartache and elation, the failure and success along with our team. In the current World Cup I’ve also seen much compassion; not only between players on the same team but between opposing players. This speaks much of our humanity. I personally felt great compassion for the Brazilian players and supporters after the defeat to Germany on the 8th July. If I could have given you a hug I would have. However, great teams and clubs have risen out of tragedy(I am a Manchester United supporter). To become strong one has to know the taste of failure and disappointment. I am sure that Brazil’s players and supporters will rise again; the samba will play and the beautiful game will continue.

6. Gee  July 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I feel like a lot of Brazilians could not understand its past history. Its a long time ago 1950, people said in the street. In which many of the people were already saying Hexta Campeon. In the advertising, in the media, in the streets. Winning the world cup before the final whistle blew. Sounds familiar? Reminded that the Brazilian psche didn’t learn from 1950. Its a bit arrogant of some of the people I met in Brazil while I was in Rio. Those who said. Don’t worry we will win. Brazilians said- Bye , bye, to every other country when those countries lost. In the end , sportsmanship and humbleness won. Germany didn’t really celebrate the win that much. Lessons from the past. Thanks for a great time in Rio.

7. michael jay  July 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Hello from the land of the Maple Leaf Philip (Unsworth). I thought your submission was very eloquent. Well said. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. A hug? That made me smile–both my wife and I are “natural born huggers” :) Honestly, all jokes aside when I saw how upset Oscar was I was greatly moved and that is exactly what I would have given him if I could have. But then again I have a soft spot in my heart for him. I do not know him on a personal basis but I believe that he has a good heart that compliments his soccer/football skills. I had made an earlier comment in which I said that I had felt betrayed by these boys. Well, perhaps the words ‘let down’ would be better used. Our hopes were so high for this team and then to see them crash in such an ugly fashion it was lke having the rug pulled out from beneath us. But as I have said, I still love this team. I am not one to “love them then leave them’. I am in this for the long haul and I will not have it any other way. Once again Philip I enjoyed your post and warmest wishes to you from Canada.

8. Pingback: Tite Could Replace Scolari as Brazil's Seleção Coach: Daily Update | The Rio Times | Brazil News

9. S. Wolf  July 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Brazil’s humiliation began long before the game started. It began the day the government decided the $30 BILLION could be better spent on a two-week dog-and-pony show, rather than on things of lasting benefit to the population, such as alleviating poverty, reducing crime, improving education, health care and the like.

10. Philip Unsworth  July 12, 2014 at 3:33 AM

I absolutely agree with you S. Wolf. In 2006 my wife and I were robbed on the beach at Copacabana. I was really angry and if I had a gun I probably would have used it. However, I’m glad I didn’t have a gun because on reflection I could see what the social problem is – anyone with half a brain could. There is a huge disparity in wealth. If you walk along the beach it is there staring you in the face with huge blocks of apartments behind razor wire, guards and security cameras. Those that have lock out those without. Later on the flight out of Rio I read a Times article about disparity in wealth. I didn’t realise it but there are indices to measure this disparity and to my surprise Brazil was at the top of the (OECD?) list in terms of greater disparity; the USA came second by a country mile. So yes S. Wolf educational opportunity for everyone and free access to health are the key. Also I don’t believe in the trickle down theory – the money brought into Brazil through soccer tourism will largely benefit the wealthy and little will find it’s way into the pockets of the poor. As for the Brazilian wealthy – share your wealth through taxes. In soccer parlance the less well off are a part of team Brazil so share that ball of money. This way you may eventually be able to dispense with razor wire and enjoy the company of fellow Brazilians in team Brazil.

11. JT LEWIS  July 12, 2014 at 7:31 AM

After the 1st goal the Brazil team gave up…..couldn’t get organized and looked shocked that they got punched in the face…..after the 2nd goal they stopped playing…..they looked like spoiled children who’s Mom told them that they were great and always right and were surprised when they found out that you have to work hard for success….no leadership…..no imagination….too much HUBRIS……they thought that just that famous blue and yellow uniform is what made them great…..

12. Pingback: Germany Win 2014 FIFA World Cup: Daily | The Rio Times | Brazil News

13. Pingback: Opinion: The Curmudgeon on “Too Big to Fail” | The Rio Times | Brazil News

14. Pingback: Argentina Fans Expected to Boost Rio Economy: Daily Update | The Rio Times | Brazil News

15. Pingback: Opinion: The Curmudgeon is Stunned | The Rio Times | Brazil News