Bolsonaro Affirms Guedes Will Remain in Government “Until the Last day”
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – The President of the Republic, Jair Bolsonaro, stood up for the embattled Minister of Economy, Paulo Guedes, on Tuesday, February 18th, minimizing the controversial statements he has made in recent weeks.
In the President’s opinion, Guedes’ statements, which had a negative impact, are no more than the Minister’s “slip-ups”.

“If Paulo Guedes suffers from occasional issues and attacks, it is much more due to his competence than to eventual slip-ups, which I have also committed a great deal in the past. Paulo didn’t ask to leave, I’m sure he will continue with us until the last day. He’s not a military man, but he was a young student at the military high school in Belo Horizonte,” said Bolsonaro.
Last week, Guedes emphasized the structural change in the exchange rate in Brazil when he said the cheaper US currency was hurting exports and allowing “everyone”, including “housemaids” to go to Disneyland.
A week earlier, Guedes had compared public servants to “parasites,” which led him to apologize repeatedly and clarify that he had intended to call the “State” a parasite.
This article was produced by The Rio Times’ automated newsroom system. How we use AI · Report an error
Read More from The Rio Times