Despite Bolsonaro’s Consent, Catholic Church Will Not Celebrate Mass in Churches
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – The Roman Catholic Church, Brazil’s major religious denomination, said it will stand by its decision not to celebrate mass to avoid crowds, which would favor the spread of coronavirus. The decision was released Friday, March 27th, in a letter by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops (CNBB).

“The CNBB, having considered the guidelines issued by the competent authorities of the Ministry of Health, which suggest social distancing, advises bishops that churches may remain open; however, similarly to what has been done so far, only for individual prayers, online broadcasts, etc.”, says an excerpt from the CNBB’s letter.
In other words, the Catholic Church allows the faithful to enter temples and pray, but there can be no gathering of people. The decision comes after President Jair Bolsonaro included religious celebrations among essential services.
In practice, the federal government has authorized by decree that masses and services may be held provided they respect the Ministry of Health’s guidelines. But the CNBB’s assessment is that permission was granted, but there is no obligation to celebrate Mass.
“The aforementioned legal instruments cannot be construed as forcing the reopening of churches, much less for the practice of any kind of gathering”.
Source: UOL
Read More from The Rio Times