By Newsfeed/AP

RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – Six Brazilian tourists were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday inside an old apartment where they were staying in central Santiago.

Onlookers look at the building where six Brazilians died in an apartment of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Santiago
Onlookers in front of the building where six Brazilians died in an apartment of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in Santiago. (Photo Internet reproduction)

Authorities said police were alerted by the Brazilian Embassy, which had been called by one of the victims when she became ill.

When officers entered the apartment in a six-story building, they found four adults and two children dead, police commander Rodrigo Soto said.

The fire department said they measured a high concentration of carbon monoxide in the apartment, which it said was completely closed.

An investigation is underway to determine the source of the leaked carbon monoxide, which is a colorless and odorless gas produced by fuel combustion in gas stoves and heating systems. A massive accumulation can be lethal.

Santiago registered its coldest day of the South American autumn early Wednesday, with the temperature dropping to zero degrees Celsius.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

eighteen + 19 =