Request made for arrest of former President Macri in case of missing submarine in Argentina
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL – A lawsuit filed by the relatives of the victims of the sinking of the Argentine Navy submarine ARA San Juan requested the arrest of former President Mauricio Macri in the case investigating alleged illegal spying on the relatives of the crew members.
The action was brought after the former president failed to appear at a hearing scheduled by Federal Judge Martin Bava, alleging that the court had no jurisdiction.
Read also: Check out our coverage on Argentina
The victims’ lawyer, Valeria Carreras, said that “this shows that justice is not equal for all”.
“We filed the request for the arrest and compulsory appearance of former President Macri, charged in the case of illegal espionage because he not only mocked the judge and we are outraged because he makes the difference felt that there are first and second class citizens because he wants to take the case where he has his friendly judges”, stated Carreras.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Defense, Jorge Taiana, showed his concern that 44 sailors died is still being investigated, where 18 countries participated in the search. The rescue was only achieved through a private company a year later.
The ARA San Juan disappeared on November 15, 2017, and was found a year later. The relatives of the crew members allege that Macri’s government knew where it was sunk long before.
“I had already said that the former president is serial spying, and now it seems that the people of his party Juntos Por el Cambio, in addition, are serial evaders of Justice. The truth is that I am not surprised, but I am shocked”.
Luis Tagliapietra, father of the only woman among the crew members, pointed out that “the attitude of the Macrista Government towards the relatives is unforgivable”. “I think they were aware that they are responsible for the sinking, they did everything possible to delay the finding, they did everything possible to demonize us.”
“They treated us as enemies, they illegally spied on us, they attacked us through social networks, they did everything possible to make us give up the fight, but what they do not understand is that a mother, a father, a son, a wife will never lower their arms to find the truth for their loved ones,” he added.
Meanwhile, the defense of former President Macri considered that this summons has political objectives since it takes place in the middle of the closing of the campaign for the legislative elections of November 14, where the government of President Alberto Fernández is losing in the polls.
This article was produced by The Rio Times’ automated newsroom system. How we use AI · Report an error
Read More from The Rio Times