RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL - It was built in 1549 as a wattle and daub house, where Tomé de Souza, the first governor-general of the colony, would live and work. In 1808, he hosted King João VI for 34 days after he had landed in the port of Salvador fleeing Napoleon's troops.
In 1837, it was the headquarters of the ephemeral Bahian Republic, proclaimed in Salvador after the Sabinada uprising. In 1912, it was targeted by cannon fire from the fort of São Marcelo in order to remove Governor Aurélio Viana.
One of the most emblematic . . .