By Juliana Tafur, Contributing Reporter

President Luiz Inácio Lula Da Silva, Photo by Agência Brasil.
President Luiz Inácio Lula Da Silva, photo by Agência Brasil.

RIO DE JANEIRO – In this week’s edition of the radio program “Café com o Presidente”, Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula Da Silva spoke about his government’s decision to provide visa amnesty to thousands of illegal workers in the country. The law, signed into effect on July 2, could regularize the situations of up to 150,000 foreigners who entered Brazil before February 1st of this year.

“The initiative provides yet another lesson to the so-called developed world. While they [developed countries] are chasing the immigrants, in Brazil, we signed a law that recognizes the immigrants,” said the President. “The law will provide foreigners with the same rights that we give to our own people,” he added.

This means that amnesty recipients will have the right to employment, education, public health, justice and liberty of movement. The only exception is that unlike citizens, the newly-naturalized will be exempt from participation in certain unspecified business activities.

During the radio program, Mr. Lula also announced the launch of a new internet tool called “certidão negativa de naturalização”. According to the President, this will allow “expediting the naturalization of foreigners in a quick, secure and transparent way.”

In order for people to benefit from the Amnesty legislation, they must have entered Brazil illegally or overstayed their visa. The initiative also applies to those who were covered under law 9.675/90, but failed to finalize their permanent residency petitions. Illegal immigrants who meet these criteria can request a temporary two-year residence.

“The important thing is for the request for temporary residency to be filed within 180 days from the publication of this new law,” says Attorney Jose Santiago. That means people have roughly until the end of the year to submit their applications to the Ministry of Justice.

Brazilian stamps on passport, photo by Juliana Tafur.
Brazilian stamps on passport, photo by Juliana Tafur.

To get started, the Planet Eye website “The Rio Guide” says people can register with the federal police at the international airport starting next Monday, July 13th. The requirements listed include authenticated passport copies, two passport-size photographs and a registration form provided by the pertinent consulate or embassy.

Additionally, people will have to present a pay stub for R$31.05, confirming payment of the Carteira de Identidade de Estrangeiro (CEI), pay a registry tax for the sum of R$64.58 and fill out a declaration that confirms a clean criminal record.

Applicants have the option to request permanent residency up to three months before their temporary residence expires. They will then be required to show means of support, a clean criminal record, no outstanding debts and a stay in Brazil of more than 90 consecutive days during the period of temporary residence.

Congressman William Woo, actor of the project that originated the Amnesty law, believes the measure will not only benefit illegal workers, but also the country’s economy. “The economy will receive greater external investments as soon as Brazil becomes an aggregate market,” he said.

A PDF version of the official Anistia (Amnesty) instructions is available for download, which also lists the official website:, as well as an email address and phone number for questions: or +55 61 2025 3232.


  1. Hi Juliana, thanks for the info. One important correction, though. To achieve permanent residency after two years, one must not have been outside of Brazil for more than 90 days at a time during the two-year provisional period. You state that one only needs to have been in Brazil for a period of 90 days during the provisional period, which is not accurate according to the law. Can you also clarify your source that states we need a consular certificate? The law and the brochure from the Ministry of Justice state that we need either a certified copy of our passport or a consular certificate but not both. Thanks!

  2. Hi Bert,
    Thanks for your comment. In regards to your first point: Multiple news websites are providing different information about whether foreigners need to be in Brazil for 90 consecutive days or whether they can’t be gone from Brazil for more than 90 consecutive days during their temporary residence.
    I obtained my information on “foreigners needing to stay in Brazil for more than 90 consecutive days” from the following news source:, which states: “o estrangeiro precisa comprovar… a permanência no País por mais de 90 dias consecutivos durante a residência provisória.”
    To clarify this confusion, I called the Ministry of Justice, and this is what they had to say: “We still have to wait for the federal police to pronounce itself on what will be required for temporary residents who want to become permanent residents. Please call us back next week and we hope to have more information on this.”
    Please let our readers know if you have a government source that states clearly this requirement. It would be very helpful, and much appreciated!
    And in regards to your second point: There’s no mention in the article of a consular certificate, but of a registration form that the website “The Rio Guide” reported people needed to obtain from their consulate/embassy. As of yesterday, this is what this website said: “Foreigners will also need to head to their country’s embassy/consulate and pick up the necessary registration form.”
    Because the law is so new, it is unclear whether consulates or embassies will also have copies of the registration form. The Ministry of Justice, though, confirmed that the same form can be picked up at any federal police station.
    We know that this is an important story, and are doing our best to keep you updated on the latest developments (as they become available).
    Very best,
    Juliana Tafur
    Contributing Reporter

  3. Thank you so much for this article. I went to the Federal Police last Monday (you have to be at the one at the International Airport by the way) and they said they hadn’t received all the information from Brasília yet, and therefore everyone had to come back on the 13th like you wrote in the article.
    They also said you have to get authorized copies of ALL pages of your passport (around R$5 per page) AND this registration form from the consulate…
    But it seems like noone knows the exact requirements yet… Would be a shame to pay R$100 just to get your passport copied and then find out that it wasn’t necessary. Did anyone else hear about this requirement?

  4. Por favor,preciso de um esclarecimento,tenho um amigo peruano que voltou para o seu país antes do Presidente Lula liberar a anistia (teve que voltar correndo pois foi roubado todo seu dinheiro,conseguindo no final os documentos,e com ajuda de pessoas conseguiu dinheiro para ir embora).A esperança dele era ficar aqui no Brasil.Como ele pode ser incluído nesta lei de anistia,ou q ele precisaria para vir temporariamente pra o Brasil e pricipalmente que não ficasse tão caro,pois pelo que li sobre a anistia os valores são baixos.espeando resposta com uma certa urgência,e agradecendo a Deus por te encontrado este site onde posso perguntar e também reveber respostas mais claras e dentro da verdadeira Lei.Obrigada Rosilene Lanini

  5. With all sincerity of mind,I wish to congratulate the good people of Brazil and the Govt for this laudable project.I enjoyed similar benefit of amnesty about 11 years ago and today i considered Brazil my second home.
    My doubt which I want clarification is having been a citizen of this country with an established projecton (Centro Cultural Yoruba) for more than 11 years, how can I go about bringing my family to Brazil from my country to live with me.
    Is there any way they can benefit in this programme? Or do I need to do their own seperately.I would be very grateful if you can help me out from my dilema.
    Once again thanking you for setting up this jornal.Que Deus te abençaor.

  6. Hi
    does anyone know the ins and outs of this yet?
    I am going back to the UK on 25/07/09 (was intending paying the overstay fine as I have been here since Dec 2008) and was intending applying for a retirement visa but not sure now whether I need to, any help please would be greatly appreicated.
    ie. could I bring my container of household goods immediately?
    how easy will it be to get permenant visa in 2 years or am I better just going back to uk and apply for retirement visa now.
    sorry I am a little confused and have limited Portuguese
    thanks so much for this news service

  7. Hi;

    If, for example someone is working here at the moment under a company works visa, could this person also apply therefore allowing themselves to be free of that company and have their own visa for future works and after the temp visa period he could therefore go for the Permanancia visa?

    Is this possible within this new ruling?

    Thanks in advance

  8. I GOT IT!! Went to the FP today with all the required documents and got the amnesty!!

    @ John: you have to have entered Brazil before 2nd of Feb. and you had to be illegal on the day the new law was announced (2nd of July)

    @ everybody else: if you have any doubts/questions about the documents you need to bring, post it here, I’ll answer it a.s.a.p.

    the most useful forum that I’ve found that sort of guided me through the whole process is this one:

    Good luck everybody!

  9. Parabens Gringa!!!!!

    I do fit into these requirements for this amnesty.

    Can you give me a simple 1, 2, 3 etc etc of documents and what FP did you go and were they reasonable to deal with?

    Parabens de novo!!

  10. Oi Gringa – congratulations!

    Are you sure that “…you had to be illegal on the day the new law was announced (2nd of July)”?

    My understanding was that this was not a requirement, only that you entered before Feb 1.

    Let us know where you found that information?

    Muito brigado.

  11. FP international Airport Rio de Janeiro (be there at 9.00 as there are limited ‘senhas’) asks for:

    – 2 passfoto’s
    – consular document that states the names of your parents (YOU NEED THIS)
    – passport + authentic copies of all pages of your passport (they gave me back the blank pages, so I don’t think those were necessary, but maybe take them just in case)
    – white paper with date of entry
    – registry form (available at FP)
    – declaration of no criminal record (also available at FP!)
    – receipts of the payments of the 2 taxes (pay these beforehand this will save you A LOT of time*) >>>

    >>>go to
    >>>fill in form
    >>>In “Código da Receita STN” enter code 140082 – REGISTRO DE ESTRANGEIROS/RESTABELECIMENTO DE REGISTRO R$64.58
    >>>Submit and print
    >>>There’s the form for your first fee
    >>>Hit the back button to return to the form
    >>>This time, in “Código da Receita STN” enter code 140619 – CARTEIRA DE ESTRANGEIRO DECRETO 6.893/09 – R$31.05
    >>>Submit and print
    >>>There’s the form for your second fee
    >>>Bring the two printouts to any bank or loterica, pay them and keep the receipts

    That’s it!

  12. @FletchNY, I’m the same person as Sjoeler on the other forum, so sorry if I’m spreading wrong information, but this is what I heard..

  13. I have a quick question – I already have my birth certificate translated (by a tradutor juramentado). Does anyone know if I need to get the document legalised by my consulate as there is some reference in the legislation to this? Or is it ok as it is? Already tried the PF but noone is picking up the phone….
    Thanks :-)

  14. Gringa,

    I have paid my 2 docs and only have to go to the airport now, one question, after you were done at the airport, had they stamped your passport and you are now, legal to live and work??

    Thanks again

  15. They didn’t stamp my passport, they just gave me the protocolo. But with this piece of paper and your passport, you supposably have the same rights as with the foreigners ID which you will receive within the next 180 days (CIE). But I think for working legally we still need to apply for the carteira de trabalho or something like that. If anyone has anymore information, please let us know…

  16. I know this is going to be a silly question but the “consular document that states the names of your parents” thats your birth certificate or is that a certified document that you need from your consulate ? I have everything else but that, just want to be sure? please help.

  17. it’s a certified document that you have to pick up at your consulate and pay for (fee varies between R$80 and R$200, depending on your consulate)

  18. Hey over there in Brasil, Please come and get all the illegal Brazilians from my country here in America. They are destroying our country!

  19. Mark – if you are a real person, you’re an idiot. Brazil/Rio is an amazing place doing it’s best to take care of it’s citizens. They also treat foreigners much better then America does, including the impoverished exploited labor. If you ever think of leaving your trailer in Tennessee, remember it’s a wide world and what goes-around comes-around.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

three × 1 =