Ecuador Intelligence Chief Dies in Kenya Helicopter Crash
Ecuador · Security
Key Facts
- —The man Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza, 44, director general of Ecuador’s Centro Nacional de Inteligencia (CNI) since January 2024.
- —The crash A Eurocopter EC130 B4 operated by Lady Lori Helicopters went down near Mount Ololokwe, Samburu County, at about 09:13 on August 19, 2026.
- —The toll Seven people died and nobody survived, including his wife Stephany Hollihan and, the US State Department says, five American citizens.
- —The trip Kenyan police described the passengers as tourists on a charter flight; Ecuador has not called it official travel.
- —The response Decree 476 declared national mourning for August 20-22; Decree 477 named Luis Carlos Avila Chavez acting CNI director.
President Daniel Noboa signed the mourning decree from China, a day after meeting Xi Jinping in Beijing.
The Ecuador intelligence chief, Michele Sensi-Contugi, died on Wednesday when a tourist helicopter crashed in northern Kenya. His wife, the designer Stephany Hollihan, died with him, and five American passengers and the pilot were also killed.
Nobody on board survived.
What Happened Near Mount Ololokwe
The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority says a Eurocopter EC130 B4 came down at about 09:13 local time on August 19. The site sits near Mount Ololokwe, a sandstone table mountain in Samburu County, in Kenya’s dry north.
The aircraft was registered 5Y-GYM and linked to the charter firm Lady Lori Helicopters. Accounts of the route differ. The aviation authority pointed to a leg between Loisaba Conservancy and the Ewaso Nyiro area.
A police report described a flight from Soyian, in Laikipia, towards Loisaba. All seven people on board were killed.
County police commander David Nkoroi confirmed the deaths at the scene, and Kenya Red Cross teams joined a multi-agency response. Recovery was slow because the wreckage burned.
Kenyan media reported that several bodies were still trapped at the site on Wednesday evening. Work was due to resume at first light.
Who the Ecuador Intelligence Chief Was
Michele Sensi-Contugi Ycaza was 44 and held both Italian and Ecuadorian nationality. Before politics he was a businessman, with interests in manufacturing, clothing and medical research.
He took over Ecuador’s strategic intelligence body in January 2024, early in Daniel Noboa’s presidency. The agency, once called the Centro de Inteligencia Estrategica, is now the Centro Nacional de Inteligencia, or CNI.
In April 2024 Noboa also made him Minister of Government, the post that runs domestic political affairs. He served there until mid-August of that year, then returned to intelligence.
Ecuadorian media described him as part of the president’s inner circle. That is why his death matters beyond a change of staff.
The Others on Board
A US State Department spokesperson said five American citizens were among the dead, and the embassy is providing consular help. NBCUniversal confirmed that José Alberto Suarez, a senior Telemundo executive in Florida, was one of them.
Miami-area media also named the restaurateur Roger Duarte and the developer Adam Hlavaty among the victims.
Sensi-Contugi’s wife, Stephany Hollihan, founded the Guayaquil fashion label Sensi Studio. She also held US and Ecuadorian nationality, and is counted among the five Americans.
Kenyan media named the pilot as Josh Outram.
Why He Was in Kenya
This was not a mission. Kenyan police listed the couple as tourists, and the operator’s guests were on a scenic charter through a luxury travel company.
Ecuadorian media described the trip as a holiday. The government’s statements have dealt with condolences rather than any official purpose.
That matters, because the death of a sitting spy chief abroad invites speculation. So far, no authority in either country has pointed to anything but an accident.
Kenya’s Investigation
The Air Accident Investigation Department, which sits under Kenya’s Ministry of Roads and Transport, is leading the inquiry. The civil aviation authority is coordinating the wider response.
No cause has been established. Investigators have not publicly blamed weather, mechanical failure or pilot error, and no preliminary report has been released.
Crash inquiries of this kind usually take months. Until then, everything about the cause remains open.
Quito Confirms, Then Mourns
Ecuador’s Presidency confirmed the deaths on its X account on Wednesday afternoon. The statement expressed deep regret at the passing of Sensi-Contugi and his wife.
Transport and infrastructure minister Roberto Luque posted his own tribute. He wrote that Michele and Stephany had left too soon, while thinking of their children and parents.
Noboa then signed Executive Decree 476, declaring national mourning across Ecuador on August 20, 21 and 22. Flags fly at half-mast on civilian and military public buildings.
A second decree, number 477, named Luis Carlos Avila Chavez as acting director general of the CNI. He had been a senior official at the Ministry of Government.
A President in Beijing While the News Broke
Noboa was midway through a state visit to China, announced by Beijing as running from August 16 to 23. He met Xi Jinping at the Great Hall of the People on August 18, the day before the crash.
Ecuadorian reporting says the mourning decree was signed from Shanghai. Because of the time difference and the distance, the president learned of the loss thousands of miles from home.
Even so, there is no indication that he cut the trip short. His itinerary also lists onward stops in Singapore and Vietnam later in the month.
What Noboa Went to China For
Ecuadorian media reported seven cooperation deals signed during the Beijing leg. They cover green industry, trade, the digital economy and social programmes.
The package includes roughly US$43 million in grant cooperation, according to Ecuadorian government accounts. About US$28 million covers 125 police pickup trucks, hospital operating theatres and dialysis capacity, and a development plan for the north.
A further tranche of about US$14.7 million is earmarked for education, production and disaster risk work. Chinese statements framed the visit around energy, minerals, infrastructure and finance.
The commercial backdrop is large. Chinese customs figures put two-way trade at US$17.33 billion in 2025, with Ecuadorian exports to China at US$9.55 billion.
A free trade deal between the two countries has been in force since May 2024.
The Washington Half of the Balancing Act
While courting Chinese money, Noboa has pulled Ecuador closer to the US military. In June he was received at the Pentagon by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who praised Ecuador as a lead partner in a new regional campaign against cartels.
That push has limits at home.
In a November 2025 referendum, voters rejected Noboa’s proposal to lift the ban on foreign military bases. That ban comes from Article 5 of the 2008 constitution.
Cooperation has continued anyway, through agreements rather than bases. Human Rights Watch published a report in July 2026 questioning how open the joint operations are, and what they cost in human terms.
Trade tells a similar story of two poles. A US congressional research summary put the United States at 22.9% of Ecuador’s trade in 2025 and China at 20.7%.
The two are almost level.
Why This Loss Stings
Ecuador is fighting the deadliest security crisis in its modern history. Intelligence sits at the centre of that fight, and continuity at the top of the CNI is not a small thing.
Since January 2024 the Ecuador intelligence chief had run the agency through its renaming and through Noboa’s first full term. His replacement inherits both the files and the contacts.
For now, though, the story is a human one. Two Ecuadorians and five Americans went on a morning flight over a beautiful place and did not come back.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who was Michele Sensi-Contugi?
He was the director general of Ecuador’s Centro Nacional de Inteligencia (CNI), the country’s strategic intelligence agency. He was 44, held Italian and Ecuadorian nationality, and had led the agency since January 2024.
How many people died in the Kenya helicopter crash?
Seven people died and there were no survivors. They were six passengers and the pilot.
Was the Ecuador intelligence chief in Kenya on official business?
No. Kenyan police listed him and his wife as tourists. The flight was a charter carrying guests of a luxury travel company.
What has Ecuador’s government done since?
The Presidency confirmed the deaths on August 19. President Daniel Noboa, then on a state visit to China, signed Decree 476 declaring national mourning on August 20, 21 and 22. Decree 477 named Luis Carlos Avila Chavez acting director of the CNI.
Connected Coverage
Sources: Kenya Civil Aviation Authority; EFE; Al Jazeera; Presidencia de Ecuador; Primicias; El Comercio; Xinhua; Human Rights Watch.
This article was produced by The Rio Times’ automated newsroom system. How we use AI · Report an error
Read More from The Rio Times